- Shower night before surgery with Hibiclens (should get from our office)
- Signed consent and given preop and postop instructions
- Fill prescriptions for postop medications (pain, nausea, stool softener, muscle relaxant)
- Good night rest, nothing by mouth after midnight, unless otherwise instructed
- Make sure you have been assigned a time to arrive at the surgery center
What To Expect
- Swelling and bruising is normal and will gradually resolve over 2 – 4 months
- If you develop any redness, drainage, or intense pain, nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, please contact us immediately
- Make sure you have someone to stay with you for the first 24-48 hours
- WALK, GET OUT OF YOUR BED EARLY AND OFTEN (WITH ASSISTANCE) TO HELP PREVENT POSTOP PROBLEMS
- Take your time getting out of bed, because you may initially be somewhat weak
- Avoid crossing your legs while in bed
- Take pain medication as instructed
- NO SMOKING, smoking may cause wound healing problems
- COMPRESSION GARMENT AT ALL TIMES FOR 4 WEEKS, OK TO REMOVE to shower after the first 24 hours
- OK to shower 24 hours after surgery, wet incisions, do not scrub until instructed; blot all incisions dry; Remove all BANDAGES EXCEPT FOR STERISTRIPS
- Make sure someone is available for assistance as you may feel dizzy or light-headed;
- Avoid strenuous activity for at least 3 weeks
- Eating after surgery
- Start with clear liquids, as you may experience discomfort from anesthesia
- Advance slowly to soft diet for first 3 days; Avoid spicy foods and sugarfree candy
- Resume home medications unless otherwise instructed
- Begin scar treatment after drains and sutures have been removed
- SEE WOUND CARE INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS
- Continue scar therapy for 6 months
- OK to massage liposuctioned sites at 1 weeks; focus on any hardened areas and gently massage 6x daily to help soften scar
- Recommend lymphatic massage therapy at 3 weeks, recommend 2 to 3 sessions a week for 1 month by a trained massage therapist.
Remember, it is vital that you make your initial post-op appointments and be seen by Dr. Jones. He will see you at least once in the first two weeks, then at one month, 6 months and 1 year.
Call to schedule your appointments at 404-400-1230 ext. 127 between the hours of 9:00-5pm, Monday to Friday.
IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS OR PROBLEMS, PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY. IF IT IS URGENT OR AN EMERGENCY DIAL 911 OR REPORT TO YOUR NEAREST EMERGENCY ROOM.
If you are not sure, please contact us and schedule an appointment to be seen. There is no such thing as a bad question or concern. We want to make sure you receive the appropriate care; the worst decision is to wait! If it is after business hours, please call our on-call hotline at 917-674-2374