- Shower night before surgery with Hibiclens (should have received from our nurse practitioner)
- Signed consent and given preop and postop instructions
- Fill prescriptions for postop medications (pain, nausea, stool softener, muscle relaxant)
- Good night rest, nothing by mouth after midnight, unless otherwise instructed
- Make sure you have been assigned a time to arrive at the surgery center
- Take home medications as instructed; INFORM NURSE PRACTITIONER IF YOU TAKE ANY BLOOD THINNERS (ASPIRIN, PLAVIX, ETC.)
- WALK, GET OUT OF YOUR BED EARLY AND OFTEN WITH ASSISTANCE) TO HELP PREVENT POSTOP PROBLEMS
- KEEP HEAD ELEVATED, AVOID BENDING NECK FORWARD FOR 2 WEEKS
- Take pain meds as instructed; take w/ crackers
- Apply ice packs or Swiss eye masks to face for first 24 hours to reduce swelling
- NO SMOKING, smoking may cause wound healing problems
- Eating after surgery
- Start with clear liquids, as you may experience discomfort from anesthesia
- Advance slowly to soft diet for first week; Avoid spicy foods and sugarfree candy7.
- Take home blood pressure meds as directed
- Avoid blowing nose if possible, sneeze with mouth open
- Keep head wrap in place, it will be changed on postoperative day #1
- Swelling is normal and typically peaks on Day 3, however, if one side appears to be more swollen than the other, or a sudden increase in swelling, contact us immediately or report to the nearest emergency room.
- After the dressings and drains are removed, it is ok to wash and shower hair w/ mild shampoo and gently wash face avoiding the stitches;
- No hair care products, conditions, gels, hairspray, grease, makeup over face while stitches in place; Make sure you get approval by Dr. Nicholas Jones before wearing makeup
- No strenuous activity, weightlifting, sexual activity for one month
- Wear sunscreen for at least 6 months to protect the skin from excessive sun exposure as this may affect the color of your scar
- Begin scar treatment after drains and sutures have been removed
- SEE WOUND CARE INSTRUCTION FOR GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS
- Continue scar therapy for 6 months
Remember, it is vital that you make your initial post-op appointments and be seen by Dr. Jones. He will see you at least once in the first two weeks, then at one month, 6 months and 1 year.
Call to schedule your appointments at 404-400-1230 ext. 127 between the hours of 9:00 – 5pm, Monday to Friday.
IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS OR PROBLEMS, PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY. IF IT IS URGENT OR AN EMERGENCY DIAL 911 OR REPORT TO YOUR NEAREST EMERGENCY ROOM.
If you are not sure, please contact us and schedule an appointment to be seen. There is no such thing as a bad question or concern. We want to make sure you receive the appropriate care; the worst decision is to wait! If it is after business hours, please call our on-call hotline at 917-674-2374